So can you tell the difference? Do you know which is which?
These were taken outdoors without flash
These were taken outdoors with flash
Top row is Merry Midnight. Bottom row is Fowl Play
From L to R: Bottle pics, one coat, in the sun, in the shade, indoors
So, are they in fact dupes? Time to put my hyper-critical eye to the test (I knew my anal retentive tendencies were good for something).
- On Base Color: MM's base is more of a maroon/reddish hue as opposed to FP's darker plum/purple looking base.
- On Flakies: While both seem to carry the same color shifting orange-to-yellow-to-green flakies, MM's was noticeably larger in size when compared to FP's. As far as amount of flakies go, they both seem quite evenly dispersed in number.
- On Glitter: If you stare closely enough (like the distance your parents used to yell at you for when your face was glued to the TV as a kid), you can see hints of what seems to be a duochrome blue/purple glitter in both polishes. FP's glitter looks to be more vibrant and a little bit more in number than MM's.
- On Microshimmer: Even on both counts. The one thing that is definitely identical between the two.
- On Application: MM's base color was slightly more sheer than FP's. The first coat of FP actually covered the nail more so than MM. FP's formula was also noticeably thicker (some have actually opted to thin out FP's formula even prior to first use). Overall application was easier/smoother with FP than MM.
- On Finish: Prior to top coat, MM had a much rougher/textured finish as opposed to FP's more even finish. But of course, all this means diddly squat with a good top coat such as Seche Vite or the like. Don't skimp on a good top coat for this one folks (or any other polish for that matter). The Polish Gods will strike down on you with the force of a thousand suns for it. Don't say I didn't warn you.
- Total Coats for Opacity: MM - 4, FP - 3
- Smexyness Factor: MM - 10/10, FP 10/10... Both are bonafied smexy queens (I have no real rating scale for this. Alls I know is that both are Totes McGotes smexaaayy).
*Take this with a huge grain of salt. I am in fact still a polish newb and the two are close enough that many will not notice or even bother to consider the differences I listed above. Do you need to own both? No. But this is not a matter of need. It's a matter of these polishes are freaking amazing so why the heck not?! ^_^